Students from India who wish their curriculum vitae to have foreign degrees added to it have for many years preferred to visit the US for their abroad study. But recently, a lot of restrictions like strict requirements for the visa, discrimination of foreigners in the United States and even depreciation of Indian currency have led to an alarming decline in the rate of students going to the US for tertiary studies.
However, other places like Canada and Australia are now more preferred. From the statistics received from the Deputy High Commissioner of Australia in India, Rod Hilton, Australia had about 68,000 students from India in 2017, and this was an increase by 14% when compared to 2016. Also, 60,062 students from India furthered their studies in Australia as of February 2018.
Canada has also been seen as one of the most popular educational destinations where Indian students are concerned, and according to the Canadian High Commissioner in India, study permits numbering up to 83,540 were given to students from India as at 2017.
What Entices Them
So many reasons and factors contribute to luring these Indian students to these two countries. Below are listed five of such reasons:
- Huge Range of Courses: Australian and Canadian universities(equipped with state-of-the-art infrastructures and research facilities) offer more courses than other countries ranging from management courses to STEM courses (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics)
- Post-study Work Permit: The 2 countries offer post-study work permit after studies than the US or other countries.
Canada permits international students to get a work permit if they’ve concluded their master’s degree from a university in Canada and this will last for 3 years.
Australia offers a post-study work visa after 2 years of study in the country with not so complex processes.
- Permanent Residency: These 2 countries also offer permanent residency to Indian students who wish to remain in the countries after their study. The PR processes are simple. For Canada, the primary factor for determining this is the newly reformed Express Entry Programme, while in Australia, not much qualification is needed for the application.
- Safe environment: while some countries are a haven for racial crimes, these two countries are cosmopolitan in nature, welcoming and receptive, and open to cultural diversity; this makes it a safer environment Indians who wish to study abroad.
- Affordability:affordability tops as one of the reasons Indians opt for Canada and Australia. When compared to the US, the fees and accommodation bills are cheaper. As such, the cost of living is more affordable.
With these, it is not a secret that these two countries would be noted as the countries leading for aspirants who wish to study abroad this year.
Stay connected to Visa Time to get updates about visa news from Asia, Africa, US, Americas, Australia, Europe, and the Middle East! We will also assist you with the visa process for the chosen country.